Proper oral hygiene is crucial for prevention of caries and gum diseases. It is recommended to brush the teeth two to three times a day and floss regularly. The choice of a toothpaste plays a big role in dental health. Some products have a relatively milder formula while others have the prescription strength and provide more potent effects. ClinPro toothpaste is a prescription option that can be provided to patients who experience tooth decay and those who are at an increased risk of developing periodontal disease and other particular oral conditions. In this post, we’ll dig deeper into the ClinPro Toothpaste to help our readers understand if this toothpaste is suited for them.
What is a ClinPro toothpaste?
Clinpro 5000 is a prescription-strength toothpaste formulated for prevention of dental caries. The toothpaste was formulated by 3M, the global science company that uses 46 technology platforms responsible for major breakthroughs that make oral hygiene more efficient. The toothpaste is primarily used as a treatment to prevent tooth decay in high-risk patients and persons with dental hypersensitivity. Clinpro 5000 is also recommended for patients who have undergone radiation of the head or neck. Radiation causes dryness of the mouth which then leads to bad breath, lack of saliva, and demineralization and, eventually, tooth decay[i]. There are certain other cases that may also put a particular patient at a higher risk of tooth decay and oral diseases. In such cases, the use of ClinPro 5000 may also be an effective option for preventing these potential complications.
How does Clinpro work?
Clinpro has a mechanism similar to those of regular toothpaste items, but it is more powerful. What makes Clinpro different than other toothpastes is high fluoride content. The toothpaste contains more than four times the fluoride found in the over-the-counter toothpastes. Higher levels of fluoride are used to provide extra protection to a patient’s teeth.
Fluoride is a mineral that naturally occurs in soil, some foods, and it is also present in the water you drink. The mineral helps prevent tooth decay by making your teeth more resistant to acid attacks from plaque bacteria and sugars. Evidence shows that fluoride works by impacting the adhesion force of bacteria that stick to the teeth and produce acids that cause caries and tooth decay[ii].
Besides fluoride, Clinpro 5000 also contains tricalcium phosphate (TCP) which is exclusive to 3M. This particular ingredient releases calcium and phosphate when you brush your teeth in aid in process of re-mineralization. Fluoride is attracted to calcium and phosphate and all three minerals work in a synergistic manner to strengthen tooth enamel.
[read more=”Click Here To Read More” less=”Read Less”]
Is Clinpro effective?
The determination of the effectiveness regarding a toothpaste is vital to assure proper dental hygiene and oral health. The toothpaste you use will play a part in determining whether or not your dental hygiene regimen is effective. Various studies inspected efficacy of Clinpro 5000, but more research is needed to learn more about this product and its mechanisms. One study showed that the mean re-mineralization band depth for Clinpro 5000 was significantly greater than for other treatment groups that used different toothpastes[iii]. Evidence confirms that the calcium phosphate system in Clinpro 5000 is stable in the aqueous environment and doesn’t affect the activity of fluoride that is added in dentifrices. Not only does a combination of fluoride and TCP provide greater re-mineralization in terms of microhardness and fluoride uptake, but also reduces the dose of fluoride that is necessary to achieve the same degree of re-mineralization[iv].
Is Clinpro safe?
While Clinpro is typically safe, overdose is possible and it usually occurs in cases a person ingests 5mg/kg of this toothpaste of bodyweight[v]. It is strongly recommended not to swallow the toothpaste while brushing your teeth. Symptoms of overdose include vomiting, nausea, drooling, diarrhea, numbness or tingling, seizures, and muscle stiffness. Stomach pain is also a symptom of overdose.
Other things to know
- You need a prescription to get Clinpro 5000
- Contains a mild abrasive that gently removes stains
- Not recommended for children younger than 6
- If you’re pregnant it’s recommended to consult your dentist before using the toothpaste
- Swallowing Clinpro 5000 can lead to potentially harmful side-effects
- Clinpro 5000 is not suitable for everyone with tooth decay
Why Oral Hygiene And A Good Toothpaste Is So Important
Good oral hygiene is a vital topic to be discussed due to the growing number of dental complications in the population. Many people also do not realize just how important their oral hygiene plays in the rest of their body. There are various diseases that affect parts of than the body that can be contributed to by bad oral hygiene. Failing to brush your teeth every day with the right type of toothpaste can cause bacteria to grow in your mouth. Some potential hazards that this poses to your body include:
- When the bacteria from the mouth enters your blood circulatory system, the bacterium species can attach to your heart. This can lead to heart disease and even increase your risk of suffering a heart attack. Poor oral hygiene can also cause you to develop endocarditis.
- In addition to being at a higher risk of a heart attack, you also become more prone to suffering from a stroke. It is suggested that this increased risk of a stroke is due to bacteria from the mouth causing blood clots to develop in the blood circulatory system. The walls of arteries also become smaller when organ bacteria leak into your bloodstream.
- The bacteria from the mouth can also travel down the airways toward the lungs. This can cause issues like Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease to become worse.
- Bacteria in the mouth causes the gums to become chronically inflamed. This, in turn, can lead to systemic inflammation, often low-grade inflammation throughout the body. Inflammation is linked to many diseases, including cancer.
- If your poor oral hygiene causes you to develop periodontal disease and you have already been diagnosed with Rheumatoid arthritis, then you are at a high risk of experience an increased level of pain and inflammation in the affected joints.
Clinpro is a prescription-strength toothpaste that delivers a significantly greater amount of fluoride than regular toothpastes. The product is recommended for people who are at a higher risk of tooth decay, but it is important not to swallow it while brushing your teeth. Consult your dentist about Clinpro to see whether it can benefit you too. Scientific evidence is available to support the fact that Clinpro toothpaste offers an effective solution to providing an improvement in overall oral hygiene, for preventing further tooth decay, and for lowering your risk of oral health conditions, such as periodontal disease.
[i] Clinpro 5000, Drugs.com https://www.drugs.com/mtm/clinpro-5000.html
[ii] Loskill P, Zeitz C, Grandthyll S, et al. Reduced adhesion of oral bacteria on hydroxyapatite by fluoride. Langmuir 2013 Apr;29(18):5528-33. Doi: 10.1021/la4008558 https://pubs.acs.org/doi/10.1021/la4008558
[iii] Goettsche ZS, Ettinger RL, Wefel JS, et al. In vitro assessment of 3 dentifrices containing fluoride in preventing demineralization of overdenture abutments and root surfaces. Journal of Prosthetic Dentistry 2014 Nov;112(5):1257-64. Doi: 10.1016/j.prosdent.2014.01.031 https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/25277038
[iv] Balakrishnan A, Jonathan R, Benin P, Kuumar A. Evaluation to determine the caries remineralization potential of three dentifrices: An in vitro study. Journal of Conservative Dentistry : JCD. 2013;16(4):375-379. doi:10.4103/0972-0707.114347. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3740654/
[v] Clinpro 5000, New Zealand Data Sheet http://www.medsafe.govt.nz/profs/Datasheet/c/clinprotoothpaste.pdf